Are you well traveled? Prove it.
That’s how Facebook introduces its Travel List Challenge. Contestants check off places they’ve visited from a list of 100 mostly obvious destinations like the Eiffel Tower and Forbidden City, plus a few unusual suspects like Sedlec Ossuary in the Czech Republic. There’s no prize except bragging rights; once you finish you can post your results and compare them with those of others. Almost a half million people have visited the site so far, though the creators of the challenge predict most people will have visited fewer than 9 of the destinations included.
This inspired me to come up with my own travel challenge--shorter, but much harder. Want to try?
1. Borobudur, a 8th century Buddhist temple on the Indonesian island of Java
2. Mammoth Cave, the longest known cave system in the world, near Bowling Green, Kentucky
3. Valparaiso, a hilly port city on the west coast of Chile
4. Herculaneum, an archaeological site near Pompeii on the Bay of Naples
5. Great Wall of China at Mutianyu about 50 miles northeast of Beijing
6. Hanoi Hilton, a.k.a. Hoa Lo Prison built by the French in the late 18th century, later used for prisoners during the Vietnam War
7. Patan Museum outside Katmandu, Nepal
8. Essaouira, an historic, walled town on the Atlantic Coast of Morocco
9. Stromboli, an island-volcano in the Aeolian Islands north of Sicily
10. Crossing of the Fathers on Lake Powell in Utah
11. Uffington Horse in Wiltshire, England
12. St. Malo, France
13. Basilica of San Clemente, Rome
14. San Xavier del Bac, a Spanish mission south of Tucson
15. The Burren, Ireland
16. The delta of the Danube River in Romania
17. The summit of the Grand Monadnock in New Hamphsire
18. Lamar Valley in Yellowstone National Park
19. Harry Truman Birthplace and Presidential Library, Independence, Missouri
20. Queen Charlotte Islands off the coast of British Columbia
21. Kronborg, a.k.a. Hamlet’s Castle, in Denmark
22. Tonga Islands, South Pacific
23. Udaipur in Rajasthan, India
24. Hancock Shaker Village, Massachusetts
25. Anywhere on the Arctic Circle
The creator of this list—that would be me—predicts that most people will only get one out of 25.
Go ahead, prove me wrong.